Wednesday, February 29, 2012

And the devil called him by name

Down, down, down.

---

“That Sinking Feeling” (2012)

I exist in a haze
In a blur of emotions gone unchecked
A pressure tightening as I plummet deeper into the water
I anticipate the hard thud of my body colliding with the sea floor
But it never comes
I continue to sink
And I can hold my breath no longer
I struggle, I flail
Pushing through the thick darkness surrounding me
Groping for some rung of a rusty ladder jutting towards the sky
But no light reaches here
I continue to sink
My chest collapses and my lungs expel
The last evidence of the world above
The briny air of the harbor, the sunlight breaking through the clouds
Gone
So now all I feel is the unyielding tug of gravity on the weight at my feet
My whole body stretching as I am drawn back in to the center of the earth
To a deep crevasse where no creature in the twilight dares even to dump excrement
And I go down down down
And I never hit the bottom.

No comments:

Post a Comment